Other sustainable features that have been incorporated into the Smilow-Burroughs Clubhouse include:
- Views to the outdoors has been ensured for over 90% of the occupied spaces by strategically incorporating windows throughout the building, including interior rooms that would typically be constructed of solid walls without windows. Occupant comfort at the Smilow-Burroughs Clubhouse goes beyond temperature comfort and indoor air quality. Providing the ability to connect with the outdoors provides an intangible comfort level.
- The gymnasium floor is a "Greenplay” floor system and the first of its kind in Connecticut. The floor consists of a recycled subfloor along with an FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) maple top layer. Over 50% of all wood on the project is FSC certified.
- More than 25% of the architectural and structural components of the building are composed of recycled material.
- More than 30% of the architectural and structural components of the building were manufactured and harvested within 500 miles of the building. Selecting materials in close proximity to the project site significantly reduced the negative impacts associated with long distance shipping of materials.
-PC Array was installed on the roof to produce 55 kilowatt-hours of electricity per year.
- Waterless urinals, along with low flow toilets, low flow shower heads and low flow lavatory faucets have resulted in a 40% water use reduction.