In 1954, having outgrown the original clubhouse on Harbor Road in Southport, Wakeman moved to Center Street. Under the direction of Edward "Red” Baker who took over the reins in 1945, the Southport Clubhouse became the place to play baseball, football, and of course basketball.
In the late 1980's with current Executive Director Dave Blagys at the helm, membership approached 750 boys and girls. A capital campaign led to an expansion project to add the Warren Gym and some other improved program space in 1992. To accommodate the continued growth in membership a second capital campaign in 2005 added a computer center, art studio, weight room, turf field, lobby and parking lot creating the Club that members know today! Now, more than 3,000 boys and girls participate in programs at the Southport Clubhouse each year.